One of the most popular food items in India is the biriyani and various variations of the same. The spicy rice based dish is one of the favorite items of many people across the country. You can easily make the dish at home though it may appear too difficult and complicated to handle. Today we are going to share the recipe for prawn biriyani and the easiest way in which you can make it at home. A fail proof recipe, the amount mentioned here would yield biriyani for four people with an average appetite.
- 500 g of raw tiger prawns ( you can easily avail the fresh king prawns available online)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder ( you can adjust it according to your taste as well)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt according to your taste
For the rice:
- 2 ½ cup of rice
- 1 large onion- minced
- Sunflower oil or ghee for a better taste- 3 tablespoon
- Water- 5 cups
- Salt to taste
Making the prawns masala:
- Large onion- 1, sliced
- Ginger paste- 3 tablespoons
- Garlic paste- 3 tablespoons
- Green chilies- 2-3 large and vertically sliced
- Coriander powder- 2 teaspoons
- Lemon juice- 2 tablespoons
- Coriander leaves- 1/3 cup or 2 tablespoons of coriander leaves paste
- ¼ cups of mint leaves ( also can be substituted with mint sauce)
- 1 ½ of garam masala
- Salt to taste
Mix the powders to be used for marinade along with the prawns. Leave the prawn for for 20 minutes. This step can be skipped helps with enriching the flavor of the prawns. If you are using frozen prawns it is important to thaw them first before leaving marinating.
In a microwave friendly pot, pour 5 cups of water and add the rice and cook full power for 20 minutes
Take a pan and add the 3 of oil or ghee the onions till they are slightly brown. Add salt and onion to the rice while it cooks and then time.
In the same pan, shallow fry the marinade prawn in two batches so that they do not pile up. Add ginger paste, and the sautéed onions, green chilies, followed by coriander powder, 1/2 cup water, and salt to taste, lemon juice, the garam masala.
Once the rice is cooked, layer the rice with the prawns masala with coriander leaves and let it bake for 12 minutes after you have lightly mixed the rice and masala together.